We chronicle the launch and early history of iTunes, from the acquisition of SoundJam up through version 3.0. Along the way we unearth bizarre Apple web services, people go crazy over burn folders, and Steve Jobs slips up.
- Macworld Expo San Francisco 2001 keynote
- MacLife: "The Complete iTunes History"
- Power Mac G4 "digital audio"
- burn folder demo
- MiniDV format
- Chalkboard typeface
nope, it's One Stroke Script
- the competition
- iTunes install CD [eBay]
- iTunes download form [WayBack Machine]
- SoundJam feature list [WayBack Machine]
- brushed metal
- Lucida Grande typeface
- CDDB / Gracenote
- OS X single-window mode
- iTunes visualizer
non-sponsor: Conflict Catcher 8 (winner of the 1998 Eddy Award!)
- Macworld Expo Tokyo 2001 keynote
- 750,000 downloads of 1.0
- supported 3rd party CD burners
- first version on OS X
- iPod support